I am the MOM and I was here FIRST!

My photo
I am a 44 year old mother of three children and grandmother of one. I am divorced from my children's father whom I share joint physical custody of our youngest two children with. I have been married to my fabulous husband for over 9 near-perfect years. I LOVE this man! He is a wonderful generous, affectionate, tolerant and all forgiving husband. He is also a terrific step-dad/male role model to my kids and an even better grand father to our two year old grand daughter. My oldest daughter attends college to obtain her nursing degree. She has been on her own for over three years now (no longer part of a shared custody arrangement like her brother & sister) My middle daughter is in high school and plays on the freshmen volleyball & soccer teams. She's really creative and talented. My son is in middle school and plays hockey and lacrosse. He is a sweet sensitive boy who still says "I love you Mom" frequently. I work part time running an online ebay store. I have terrific and supportive relationships with my family, friends and of course my kids. I am extremely close to my sister, my Mom and my sister-in-laws. They are my best friends.

THE JOURNAL OF MY LIFE ...


Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Hockey Parents


Hockey has been a big part of our family life for about 15 years now. My ex-husband has played on a "senior" league since I've know him. He's been playing hockey since he was a child. This interested our oldest daughter who started playing hockey at the age of 6 and until she was 16 years old. Our son has been playing hockey since he was 4 years old.

Recently we attended one of my 12 year old son's hockey game. It started out nice enough, but progressed into something ugly and loud by the third period. And I'm not talking about the players. I'm talking about the parents. As our home team pulled ahead by two goals in the third period, several parents from the other team started shouting and hollering at the ref's about every call and one lady screamed "HIT HIM" at the top of her lungs, several times, I presume to her own child. This comment got some parents on our team heated and "talking back" at the other team's parents. It became difficult to just enjoy watching my son participate in a game he has loved since he yielded a mini hockey stick in diapers.


The children on these two teams are still tweens. They're out there skating and having fun, trying to enjoy the game, while some parents are projecting their own emotions and passionate need to win on their children. I truly was disgusted by some of the parents display of poor sportsmanship and their aggressive demeanor. Their anger was written all over their faces and clearly amplified in their shouts.

These kids are not going to be professional NHL hockey players. They're not going to the be in the Olympics. I just hope the good memories these children should have by just loving to play the game are not overshadowed by their parents ignorant embarrassing behavior.

No comments: